10.15.2008

Fixing Errors

(written in Oradea Romania- Oct. 11th 2008)

I suppose I should just write and keep writing almost without using the backspace except to fix spelling errors. Cause those bother me.

My father is gone. It’s a weird thing. A strange thing to think that the life that brought me into the world has breathed it’s last and has stopped existing.

There’s all these things you feel and think. All these unsaid emotions and feelings and thoughts and regrets. All these things I wish I could’ve said before he died. I wish I could’ve told him that I wasn’t angry at him. I wasn’t upset or mad about the things he did. I know I’d told him before, years ago that I wasn’t upset or anything but I wish I could have two days. Or even two hours just to say what I feel. To say all these things that I’ll live with for the rest of my life. I want to see where he’s buried, but I don’t even know what that will be like I don’t know if it’s just a plaque or a sign on a wall. I need to see something. I’m afraid though of seeing all these things. But I have to.

I wish I had two hours. To find out where he was born and what he wanted to do with his life. To find out where he went to school and who his friends were and what happened to the motorcycle. Two hours to listen and see and apologize for not being more involved in his life.

I wish I would have gone to see him. To see where he lived and what he did. To maybe give him a little light and hope to continue living. In the end my father just wanted to die. He wanted to leave this world. He wanted to stop breathing and be done with everything. His body was tired and exhausted. He had no desire. No drive. Nothing to live for.

And I’m surprisingly ok. For the most part. One minute I’m totally fine. The next minute I’m crying. Then I’m questioning. Then I’m trying to understand what I need to do and how to find resolve and closure. I have a feeling it’ll be more difficult to find than I expect.

I don’t think I’ve ached like this in a long time. I actually don’t remember ever feeling this way about anything before. Ever. It’s like a constant nagging of something so heavy on your heart. Like in Peru when you’re up in the mountains and you feel like someone is pushing against you trying to keep you from breathing. That’s what it’s like. Like I struggle to breath.

Everything seems to bother me right now. I feel like I fake laughter. I feel like everybody knows and they just stare at me waiting for me to cry.

Life goes on. True. But it hurts.

I start to cry multiple times during the day. And I stop myself.

My father wanted to die. He chose to be alone at the end of his life. He chose to walk away from me and mom and Micah. Yet somehow I still feel like I should’ve done more. Like I will always regret not picking up the phone.

And God knew. He knew I would be feeling this. He felt it. He feels it everytime someone dies. Hurt.

Marv died. That’s all my mom’s email said. One email saying he was going to be taken off life support. And then six hours later those two words. Now in some way I’m supposed to have the emotional and physical and spiritual capacity to lead 10 people I’ve never met into schools and balance my work and home life while being 10,000 miles away.

I don’t want to be here. I want to be home where I can sit in my room all day and not think about anything. And not have people ask me questions or talk to me. I want to be home. Before when people went home early I always scoffed and thought how ridiculous that was that people would leave the ministry or the programs. How stupid to change all that stuff to be able to go back. It’s not like you can do anything about it now. You can’t really change anything or fix it or somehow solve anything. When people would go home because someone’s marriage was junk or someone died. They couldn’t fix any of that.

It’s not about fixing the problem at that point. It’s about fixing yourself. It’s less about what happened to someone and more what’s happening to you. It’s about healing yourself and finding restoration and the ability to continue doing what you do and continue living. Letting it hurt so you can open a wound and it can be healed so you can someday help others.

Someone on my team once went home early because of a death. Before they left they said that I wouldn’t have done that. They said I would have stayed. I thought they were right. I thought that I would have stayed if someone in my family had died. But they were wrong. I’m going home. Not to try and bring back my father. But to bring back me. It’s not about bringing closure, but about bringing understanding.

I want my life to count. I don’t want my death to be mourned and remembered as a grievance of missed opportunities. I will try to loose the guilt and the feelings of never being able to fix the errors I feel that I’ve made.

My father wanted to die. That’s what my mom said. But I didn’t want him to.


Please pray for my family and I as we seek God and His healing.

Thanks for reading.

matt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

matt-
i don't really know what to say after reading that. I don't want to say "I understand," or another mundane brush-off phrase like that...becuase I really don't understand what you're going through.

the only thing i can say is i'm praying for you, and i'm thankful that you're doing what you're doing in so many places...touching so many lives.

thanks for opening up and letting those around you know what's going on :)

you're an awesome leader and i know God will give you everything you need...no matter the circumstance.

see you later :)

-jessie d.

Created One said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Created One said...

Oh man. Matt. It will be my prayer that as you journey through this there is a new wholeness that the Lord blesses you with that you have never expereinced before. And that you are strengthened daily in hHis presence and peace. Thanks for living with your hand open . . .

Unknown said...

I love your honesty.