8.15.2005

Healing Places

Healing takes place in many ways and in many different settings. It sometimes happens during times of great stress or when we step out of our comfortable lives. When we step away from our world of cell phones, iPods, computers, school, work, church and familiar places to enter their world of poverty, hopelessness, confusion and fear; we place ourselves at risk of being moved with compassion and our lives being shaken. One of the greatest motivators for doing what I do is when I see this healing first hand, sometimes within a short ten days in another country with a team of people I’ve never met.

God begins this process far before the actual trip as we are stretched and grown to trust Him for finances, environmental changes and of course the unkown. For those who dare to take these steps and follow through with these commitments there is an incredible perspective or lifestyle change waiting on the other side.

Once on the field there are breaking points that bring about another part of this healing process. Seeing a homeless person on a street can sometimes awaken us to the world around us. Watching as hundreds of students desperately read a message of truth handed to them. Sometimes it is the story of one of the children that opens our hearts to expose the wounds and thus allow God to heal the hurt, mistrust, confusion or fears that plague our lives.

God never expects perfection, but he desires wholeness, a continuing process we will never finish in this life. He desires that we be open to His voice changing and shaping us, He is making us into people He can depend on and be proud of.

When we step out and rely on the God who created us with the exact characteristics that we have we find that our stories bring this same healing and encouragement to others’ lives as well. The most amazing part about this life is that God can take us as we are, beat-up, bruised, broken and failing, to change, restore and gently piece us back together. Then He has the faith in us to let us take His hope and truth to the hurting world around us.

He believes in us enough to actually be His arms, hands and feet to carry His Love to the people we used to be. When these events take place, God can truly shine through us as He changes our story from one of defeat to one of destiny. God help us view our world always keeping Your destiny in mind.

Regardless of whether we meet again on a missions field somewhere or not, I trust that God will lead and direct each of you in your lives.

Travis the Money Changer, Phil (We need God in America), P.Van, Francisco Mi Héroe, Rhoda Letter, Messy Jessie, Meghann (if you start feeling sick… too late), Victoria (Walk of Lifer), Sarina Beana, Abby (the flirt), Autumn (look at that!), Melissa (Horchata mmmm), Ashley (stop licking toes), Sonia (close your eyes) and Felicia (always cool stories)…

As I watched your plane taxi and then take off into the blue rain-clouded Guatemala City skies I thought about this; God called each of you away from the ordinary, normal, everyday life to live for ten days in the extraordinary world beyond your borders. As you sit at your computers reading this at home or work or school, His question still remains:

“How much more can you give”?

Vaya con Dios

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt

Thanks for continuing to pour into our lives even after the trip is over. You made our trip so awesome thank you for being so cool. I'll be praying for you.

.phil

www.livejournal.com/users/fakeid781

Anonymous said...

Matt,
wow I just got home and I miss the trip so much. I am praying for where ever it is that you go next. I am so thankful that I got to meet you. Talking to you the last few days ment so much. Thank you for everything.

Anonymous said...

Thank You Matt!!! I could not have pictured being on the trip with someone else, so thank you so much for everything and I would like to repeat what phil said... continuing to pour into our lives even after the trip is over...
thanks

Anonymous said...

Matt,
In all truthfullness, that question that you asked all of us on Sunday about "How much more can you give?" was exactly what God spoke to me the first night we were in Guatemala. You have no idea how much of an encouragemnent you have been in my life. I will never forget you, and I'll be praying for you. Thank you so much for simply being you, hope that someday we could work together again.
thanks so much :) - Jessie

Oh... one last thing
I'm going on a camping trip and I'm bringing with my Journal... what are you going to bring?

Rhoda said...

Moments in time speak thousands of words to our hearts. Thank you for those moments. Thank you for speaking into our hearts. Thank your for listening. Sometimes we just need Godly encouragement to get us through. Thank you for opening my eyes to what God has for me as a LEADER...as HIS servant...

You are an amazing man of God and I am grateful and blessed to have met you. And as everyone else, I will always be praying for you. Please update us with where you are going and what God is doing!

Rhoda said...

...One more thing...

Patience is virtue

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt! Thanks for pouring into our lives this week. Thanks for being so awesome. You are great. Thanks for caring, listening and puting up with us all week. You are doing a great thing. I will be praying for you always. You amaze me with all that you do an dput up with. Not many people are as willing as you are. Keep up the good work. What more can we give...wow we can give so much more. Think about just how much Jesus gave for us...its so hard to fathom...and we need to give our all everyday. I was thinking this morning wow everyone needs to go on a short term missions trip to experience this...but think about it there are kids here too. In the U.S in our own State or even more what about our own towns. There are kids here hurting and empty. They need us they are our responsibility. Lets rock there world and give them something worth giving. Show them Jesus. Again thanks Matt, its been a great week and I am so glad that we got to work with you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt! Thank you for making our trip to Guatemala amazing! I can't even imagine what our trip would have been like without you there. As Phil said, thanks for pouring into our lives, even after the trip is over. Thanks for putting up with all of us! I'm so glad I got to work with you and I'll be praying for you.
-Victoria

travis spencer said...

Matt...
I'd travel anywhere, anytime, on any trip with you. Thanks for a great trip. You're awesome...

Anonymous said...

I also want to thank you for what you have done. Just seeing your attitude and love for the kids going into each school was an encouragement to me. Without you the trip definately wouldn't have been the same. As everyone has said you have poured into our lives even after the trip is over. The question you asked us all has got me thinking...how much more can I give? It has been a pleasure working with you and I'm glad to have met you. Thanks!
~Felicia

Anonymous said...

Matt, thank you so much for all the time you invested into making Guatemala such an amazing, life changing experience! like every one else said the trip would not have been the same with out you! thanks for pushing me to step out of my comfort zone, and taking time to help me with my testimony. you have been such an encouragment and i am so grateful that i got the chance to know you. thanks for speaking into my life and so many others! God bless
-Abbi